This is an endoscopic procedure to correct stress urinary incontinence in men or women due to sphincter or pelvic floor weakness. Bovine-treated collagen is injected at the bladder neck to bulk it and prevent urine leak. It is done under general anaesthesia at a day case and takes 15 mins. Because collagen is a biodegradable product, repeat injections may be needed every 6 months.
- bloody urine. This should clear by a week
- difficulty passing urine. This is due to excess swelling around the bladder neck and should resolve by 2 weeks
- urinary retention. If this happens, a catheter will need to be inserted and left in for a few days
- no excess bleeding (<5% chance)
- no retention of urine (<1% occurrence)